Thursday 31 March 2016

Missing things from back home

I was in the UK last week seeing family, friends and "home".

After 15 years living in Germany, it's always interesting to notice what things I miss the most when I'm back there.

Of course, I miss the people - that goes without saying. But apart from that, most of the time it's Marks & Spencer's, Sainsbury's supermarket and British TV.  Funny, isn't it?

There's always a moment when I wish I could bring a little bit of that culture with me and while I was there, we'd reminisced a little about a classic comedy sketch that is surely one of the UK's favourites by The Two Ronnies - very old now, but known by young and old alike. So it was particularly sad tonight to find out that the second Ronnie (Ronnie Corbett) died today. It's been a hard year so far with the loss of so many much-loved figures.




Many international readers might not get this British humour with all that word play but it never fails to make me laugh.

I had a wonderful time in the UK, meeting old friends and making new ones in real life. There were many, many photos that I forgot to take (as a scrapbooker, that's a bit embarrassing!) and I will have to record those meetings in words as soon as possible so I don't forget the details.

But it was fabulous to meet fellow Master Forger Jemma and a much-missed ex-Master Forger Lesley in person and I received thoughtful gifts from both - thanks to them for thinking of me!

So after feeling a little sad with the loss of a prominent figure this evening, I will end with a couple of photos that make me happy - a new, special friendship and somewhere that earned a special place in my heart when I worked there back in the 90s.


Cambridge - King's College

This trip made me realise that next time I have more than a weekend there, I need to be a tourist again - both in places I know well such as Cambridge and Birmingham, but also places I've always wanted to visit. A layout in the making I think.

Don't forget to come back tomorrow for the new Counterfeit Kit Challenge April kit reveal. It's an interesting one this month and I can't wait to share.

4 comments:

  1. That is a lovely photo of the 3 of you.It must be hard living away from your native land,I'm sure life is very different in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the things my brother misses about the Uk too. Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great snap of you and your cohorts. And I often think that I need to return to my hometown and do all the touristy things I haven't done in years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for a good laugh this morning - and a good laugh last month!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time. <3 <3 <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...